Page 9 of 43

Re: My first motorsport trophy :D

Posted: 17 Jun 2009 11:38 am
by Chris_C
Right, the reason I didn't finish the rest of the airshow pics last night. I am moving out of the Monastry at the end of the month, and new house has lots less driveway and car park. So, I need to get Fake on the road again.

I didn't manage to get any pictures of it before... I really should have done. I now understand why you are supposed to remove underseal ever few years and reapply. The only thing that was holding the it together on this side was the underseal really, and my wheel arch was just pure underseal. So... angle grinder, cornflake packet, flat lump of metal, big hammer again. It was so much quicker this time, it took me a few days to cut out the hole last time as I didn't know what went where and how, where as this time I saw what had happened, and could just cut it. Angle grinder sparks in the ear whilst lying on your back arn't fun though

Image

This bit is the top, that you see the other side of when the door is open. There isn't anything on that side rust wise, so this got wirebrushed, and back to back metal and repainted. First time something has looked worse than it was!
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Re: My first motorsport trophy :D

Posted: 17 Jun 2009 12:16 pm
by volvosneverdie
Chris, youre setting yourself up quite well here as 'the man that will sort your sills and jacking points out.'

Good work man. 8)

Re: My first motorsport trophy :D

Posted: 18 Jun 2009 05:09 pm
by sven360
:shock:

Cup still half full Chris???

You'll look back in yrs to come of the great days of patching cars up, as soon the HSE will deem without a 3 week course that costs a fortune you'll be unqualified to carry out your own repairs :roll:

Bring back the good ol' days of lengths of 4be4 wedged under the bonnet to stop ya MK1 Escort's strut bursting free :lol:

Re: My first motorsport trophy :D

Posted: 19 Jun 2009 01:04 am
by Chris_C
Cup is smashed in pieces on the driveway, along with the remains of my sills buddy ;) :lol:

Rear piece with jacking point, strengthening piece, and bellows attached today. Just outer skin to go, then handbrake rebuild, then thats all the fails done. Then some more motorsport...

Re: My first motorsport trophy :D

Posted: 19 Jun 2009 01:24 am
by volvosneverdie
Chris_C wrote:Cup is smashed in pieces on the driveway, along with the remains of my sills buddy ;) :lol:

Rear piece with jacking point, strengthening piece, and bellows attached today. Just outer skin to go, then handbrake rebuild, then thats all the fails done. Then some more motorsport...
Woohoo!
Even with the added weight of solid metal, I bet you'll fly man.

Re: My first motorsport trophy :D

Posted: 20 Jun 2009 11:35 am
by Chris_C
Need to grind the welds back, but we have metal again :D

Image
Image

So, grind welds, sort out why my handbrake mech has jammed (all the levers and bits inside the drums have siezed) and re MOT.
Image

Re: My first motorsport trophy :D

Posted: 20 Jun 2009 08:36 pm
by Bazboy
Sweet, Good luck man, i really need to sort my handbrake out.

Dan

Re: My first motorsport trophy :D

Posted: 22 Jun 2009 01:56 pm
by trabitom99
Seeing those wheels, the body colour bumpers, and the front spoiler I keep thinking SteveP's car's back from the dead ;-)

Well done on that welding, keep it up :-)

Tom

Re: My first motorsport trophy :D

Posted: 10 Aug 2009 12:22 am
by Chris_C
Well, I've been rather quite on this front... mainly as I've been trying to get super secret plan A finished before I brought Fake back into the forum. But, due to me having a proper job for a month, super secret plan A won't be with us for at least another 3 weeks.

Fake passed her MOT... um, about a month ago! Since she's been back on the road, she's done another 4,000 miles, bringing her to 208,000. In that time lots of things have been trying to tell me she would prefer to just roll over and play dead, but it's not happening. This weekend I've fitted a new radiator (the last one had very few cooling fins left, and was all but blocked internally), fixed the exhaust with proper exhaust bits rather than baked bean cans, and rebuilt the brakes, fitting Goodridge braided flexi's. Next to be done is new shocks all round (again) luckily I have some spare spax in the shed.

One annoyance is last weekend I was driving home in the dark, and hit a pothole. I was raining, and the pot hole had filled up so it couldn't be easily seen, it's buckled 2 wheels, one Ronal, and one Vega. Both are flipping rare, and had good tyres on :(

Add to that the fact that when I flushed the cooling system through yesterday, I must have dislodged something in the waterpump, as the bearing seal now seems to be breaking the trade descriptions act, and is pouring water out the front. This new job is a 120 mile a day commute, so I've nadgered my mates WRX Impreza to get to school in tomorrow. New waterpumps seem to be very cheap from ECP, so I'll get a new one and fit it one evening this week.

Due to all this, she will be still in primer at RR, but will at least be working, and no longer overheating, running lean, nor have all the other problems she had!

Re: My first motorsport trophy :D

Posted: 10 Aug 2009 12:45 am
by Bazboy
Shame about the bad luck, it will all be ok in the end tho im sure.

Primer is the way forward tho my friend :lol: Well start a craze together at retro rides, well be the stuff of legends or we could get laughed at, either way it will be cool.

Dan

Re: My first motorsport trophy :D

Posted: 10 Aug 2009 08:07 am
by volvosneverdie
Personally dan, I think yours looks mean in primer.
I'd be tempted to just laquer that.
Well done for keeping the faith chris.
Fingers crossed that'll be the last problem for a while.

Re: My first motorsport trophy :D

Posted: 10 Aug 2009 09:18 am
by Chris_C
Hope so buddy! I forgot, I also did a rebuild of the carb, well, last one was at least 12 months ago :lol:

If nothing else, she is running sweetly again, aside from it only lasting for a short time whilst the water falls out :lol:

Re: My first motorsport trophy :D

Posted: 09 Sep 2009 12:27 am
by 340GLT
Chris on Adam's...

Fake reached 210,000 last week, so enoughs enough, new engine time ;)

Will update more as and when with build details, as it's late now. Adam did spend a good hour cleaning Fakes engine bay earlier, he didn't seem to understand oil leaks and dirt :lol:


New shiney engine
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Old slightly dirty engine
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

More tomorrow...

Re: My first motorsport trophy :D

Posted: 09 Sep 2009 12:59 am
by magnumpi
I'm getting dejavu lol, good times at Adam Towers HQ sm4

Nice work guys and good stuff Chris for coming over to the dark side, at least with the oil leaks in the engine bay it should be reletively rust free :wink:

Re: My first motorsport trophy :D

Posted: 09 Sep 2009 01:38 am
by foggyjames
About bloody time too ;)

cheers

James