I will be servicing my 340 myself (it is a CVT) but as I've only had it just over a week I probably know less than you do
The car's resting in Plymouth over the holiday and I'll be familiarising myself with its workings in the new year - hopefully I'll have the right distributor cap by then! GSF and Euro Car parts both seem to be phasing out early 340 stuff
*watches thread with interest* I have a CVT, super silly low milage, so I'm expecting the unwanted lack of use problems. It apparently lost drive of any kind, however when I got it started and running it moved perfectly. Mine appears to be the only CVT with a rev gauge from the factory! So, what I'd like to know for sure it what revs movement kicks in at for anyone else, as I'm not sure if mine is out of adjustment! A project for the new year!
Pete
G reg 360 GLT, G reg 340 GL Variomatic, plus many more..........
I recently swapped the speedo/clock/gauge etc unit in my 340 CVT for one with a rev counter so I can tell you what mine does, it would be interesting to know what yours does also!
Typically revs go up to 3000-4000 when accelerating, depending on how fast you accelerate.
Cruising at 70mph it is 4200-4500, though one day in the rain I was doing 80mph at 4000 revs UP and DOWN hills, I am still somewhat puzzled by this!
Cruising at 60mph is usually 4000.
I forget the rest, though driving around town its 2000-3600, rarely under 2500.
Was fitting the rev gauge a complicated job? I'd be interested to know what my engine's up to as I'm driving along. It would probably make tuning the car a little easier too.
Cheers Guys, Simon, I seem to remember you telling me, but at the time I don't think I had it running, or couldn't move it enough in the limited space to see when movement started! So a recap would be handy mate!
Yep, the rev gauge must have been factory fitted, it also has electric mirrors and windows, which for a 1.4 vario is quite interesting! And it had an atfermarket power steering setup fitted when it was nearly new at great cost. I really need to find the time to get it on the road, as I think I'll enjoy the vario experience from what I've seen and heard!
Pete
G reg 360 GLT, G reg 340 GL Variomatic, plus many more..........
To celebrate this little come back, I'm proud to say that my '84 340 DL with 240.000 km is back on the road again after a variomatic swap! It wasn't an easy job at all but it's done! We have removed everything on the donor car... Here are some pics! Don't forget that this blue 340 variomatic is THE car that made start the V3M adventure...
Something surprising: the car reached 170 km/h for the first time!! Variomatic power!