Page 2 of 3

Posted: 22 Nov 2004 09:02 pm
by wjp01908
That would be worth seeing!

We have no TV at home so any clips you could post would be brilliant!

Will

Posted: 23 Nov 2004 01:26 pm
by DeKay
Chris_C wrote:Everyone who feels that Mr Clarkson should get his come uppence, record Top Gear tonight (i.e., the repeat of yesterday), and watch the last 15mins. I have the entire program on my hard drive, will try to rip it out, it's brilliant!!!!
I'd love to see that! if it'sd less than 50meg I'll give you the ftp details and you can upload it to my pwp(I can't ftp from uni! grrrrr!)

Posted: 23 Nov 2004 02:21 pm
by foggyjames
You mean the bit where he gets OWNED by a lass around the Nurbergring?! Oh we did laugh...

I want to get a 360 TI on Top Gear. In a way, I agree with him that the 300 was a terminally dull car driven by dullard beardies (no offence Will....I think you know what I mean by 'beardies'...!!)....but that's because Volvo never bothered to produce hot versions. I still see 'typical' 300 owners more regularly than 'us' - I distinctly remember following an immaculate 340 GLE saloon doing 30 in a 60 earlier this year...before I got bored and tore past. I felt a sense of duty to the stream of cars behind me to show that not all 300 owners have all day to get where they're going...

I mean the 850 would be just another 740 without the sports versions! My interest in the 300s is in asking 'what might have been?'. I think Clarkson would struggle to argue that a 360 with 200bhp and sport suspension would have been dull... I even thought of suggesting a series on "cars that never were...but should have been".

cheers

James

Posted: 23 Nov 2004 02:59 pm
by wjp01908
I know what you mean about beardies James - I just don`t like the "tar everybody with the same brush" attitude that the likes of Clarkson promote.

I agree that the 300 could be considered dull in some contexts and if I am honest with my self and disregard its many positive properties (cheapness, comfort, safety, ease of maintenance etc.) , owning one, is for me, as much of an anti fashion statement as anything else.

I suppose we should be glad that they are so desperately unfashionble - it does mean that our motoring comes cheap....

Will

Posted: 23 Nov 2004 06:46 pm
by Chris_C
I'll get onto it, and hopefully have it up by the end of the week! Just the fact she's never driven the car before either!

Posted: 23 Nov 2004 09:20 pm
by foggyjames
And Clarkson was trying for two days ;)

Don't get me wrong...I love 300s. I have always had a thing for championing the unfashionable (no clothes / haircut comments :-P), and cars are no exception. History has been unkind to the 300...

cheers

James

Posted: 23 Nov 2004 09:40 pm
by petefarrell360
I love to be different! None of my mates understand my love for the Volvo 360 GLT, they take the mickey, the usual Volvo driver jokes, slippers and pipe etc! It's been called the 100 mph tractor! They have the stereotypical image of the Volvo driver! Still, it doesn't bother me, it's not going to loose much in value, it's reliable, comfortable, safe and pretty fast!

It was really good on Top Gear to see Clarkson trying so soooo hard to beat the ten minutes time, breaking the car in the process! Then she goes out and on the first lap beat him by over 40 seconds (I think)!

Pete

Posted: 24 Nov 2004 02:42 pm
by Chris_C
Hopefully I'll get the end cut out today, and I'll post a link tommorow or Friday.

I guess all of us must have had our fair share of jokes, I just managed to get most of them to admit that it was a good car, made me feel good!

Posted: 24 Nov 2004 02:52 pm
by foggyjames
Mine is about the only car amoungst my mates that doesn't break down. It usually settles any arguments when I give them a lift to the parts shop ;) At speed, in comfort...

cheers

James

Posted: 24 Nov 2004 03:46 pm
by wjp01908
If I get any grief I just challenge them to a reversing race.

Not many cars can go as fast in reverse as forwards ;-)

Will

Posted: 24 Nov 2004 04:15 pm
by foggyjames
HAHA....very true...

cheers

James

Posted: 24 Nov 2004 05:06 pm
by SteveP
Most of my mates have actually seen WHY I bought a 360 now. I think abit of rear wheel drive action managed to convice them.. also the comfort and relative refinment for what is a 16 year old car is quite impressive.

My mate had a F reg Citroen AX GT.. which rattled like hell! But having owned two Skoda Favorits before the Volvo.. you can see I don't care about other peoples opinions :lol:

Top Gear was pretty funny. Although Jeremy Clarkson has rather controversial views and an uneccesary influence to the general public (most of which can't decide for themselves whats good and whats not) it can still be an interesting programme to watch - certainly no other terrestrial car programme comes close.

Steve

Posted: 24 Nov 2004 05:20 pm
by Azurael
DeKay :P
V3M Member Number 100
http://www.volvo300mania.com/forum2/pro ... file&u=107

107... Well, ok, phpBB member number are out by one, since the 1st member is 2, but still 106.

Posted: 24 Nov 2004 05:27 pm
by redline
I agree Steve my skoda estelle 130lse had a stage three head ashley exhaust and twin carbs, it upset many hothatch owners in its time , It was nice having the last laugh :lol:

Posted: 24 Nov 2004 05:35 pm
by SteveP
I was tempted by an Estelle or Rapid actually, but theres not enough about now to get a decent one locally :( Can't fault them mechanically, both of mine were absolutely excellent - but as they were designed on the cheap things like seats were not great.. minor details really. I found them to be great fun to drive. What is more fun than tearing down the outside lane of the motorway in a green pre-vw Favorit estate and overtaking the same Corsa Sri about 6 times? :D What happened to your 130? It sounded quite special...

Steve