Page 1 of 1

Welding thicknesses

Posted: 15 Jun 2010 04:05 pm
by Speedy88
Ok it's about time I attacked my sills. What I have is some 1.2mm sheet steel and 0.6mm welding wire. What thickness is the 340 shell? Would it be wise to change the thickness of my wire or metal?

Re: Welding thicknesses

Posted: 15 Jun 2010 05:51 pm
by Ride_on
There seems to be 2 sizes

My guess
Inner/floorpan - 0.8mm
Mid section - 1.0mm
Outer sill - 0.8mm

Repair sheet - 1mm for all
Custom 1.2mm 3 angled section for lower mid section repair (I have some spare, but its not that accurately angled)
Standard right angle 2"x2"x0.9mm from Hadrians for bottom corner of floor pan (although >90 deg)
Standard right angle 0.5"x0.5"x0.9mm from Hadrians good for bottom lip, seam welded all the way along.

I tend to use 0.8mm wire, but probably mainly because I bought a big reel.

Anyway beware what you will find inside!

few more pics on http://www.volvo300mania.com/forum-uk/v ... 3&start=15