Page 1 of 1

Clutch removal

Posted: 30 Sep 2011 07:54 pm
by bogbasic
Hello, I need some advice on removing the clutch on a 360. I have done all as per manual (undone gearbox mounts, removed exhaust, gear selector linkages, bell-housing bolts and cover plate) but I can't get the clutch bell-housing to pull away from the flywheel. Its moved about 3 mm but won't go any further.

Re: Clutch removal

Posted: 30 Sep 2011 08:10 pm
by Chris_C
Had this problem yesterday, have you done the 4 x 10mm head bolts that hold the flywheel protecty cover onto the bellhousing? you can reach them from under the car, behind the sump.

Next really fun game is getting the bellhousing free from the crossmember... looks like it's a drop the axle thing but not got that far yet. Give me a 1.7 any day :roll:, I at least know I've done everything on those before :lol:

Re: Clutch removal

Posted: 30 Sep 2011 08:19 pm
by bogbasic
Yep, the bottom flywheel cover plate was undone yesterday but didn't make much difference! I'll keep trying.

Re: Clutch removal

Posted: 01 Oct 2011 01:21 pm
by Ride_on
Try removing the torque tube first, should just be 4 bolts at the flange, less weight to align, but then also less leverage to wiggle the thing off.

If you have gotten 3mm all the way round then it should come out.. Don't forget the Flywheel sensor bolted to block, will catch the bell housing.

Some of the bolt holes have sleeves which recess in both block and bell housing, but only by about 5mm from memory. The main thing to clear is the drive shaft end which rests in the crank pinion, will need a good couple of inches.

Re: Clutch removal

Posted: 10 Oct 2011 03:38 pm
by bogbasic
Finally got the thing to separate using a luggage strap with a ratchet around the gearbox and rear-crossmember.... I think unbolting the bell-housing from the torque tube (thanks for this suggestion) will help it to go the last half-inch.

Re: Clutch removal

Posted: 10 Oct 2011 07:31 pm
by Chris_C
bogbasic wrote:I think unbolting the bell-housing from the torque tube (thanks for this suggestion) will help it to go the last half-inch.
This sorted me out too :)