Page 1 of 1

Front Bumper Covers

Posted: 29 Mar 2012 02:20 pm
by kevGLT
Looking for a set of front bumper bolt covers, the 'vented' style, anyone able to help ?
cheers,
Kevin. :360:

Re: Front Bumper Covers

Posted: 30 Mar 2012 01:18 am
by Attack2001
kevGLT wrote:Looking for a set of front bumper bolt covers, the 'vented' style, anyone able to help ?
cheers,
Kevin. :360:
The vented ones were only on vario's if i recall correctly. Quite hard to get nowadays...

Re: Front Bumper Covers

Posted: 30 Mar 2012 02:01 pm
by macplaxton
I'm not sure I even know what is being talked about off the top of my head.

Pics needed to jog my memory.

Re: Front Bumper Covers

Posted: 30 Mar 2012 02:36 pm
by Chris_C
Image

Vented bumper bolt covers. As standard fitted to all rubber banded cars.

Re: Front Bumper Covers

Posted: 30 Mar 2012 02:56 pm
by macplaxton
Thanks Chris, being primarily an earlier car man I was thrown by the mention of bolts and covers (4 plastic oval things on a MY81-85)

I've got some of those vents as pictured :D

Re: Front Bumper Covers

Posted: 30 Mar 2012 06:01 pm
by kevGLT
Thanks for the photo,Chris, thats the 'vents' I am looking for, anyone have a set for sale ?
Cheers,
Kevin. :360:

Re: Front Bumper Covers

Posted: 31 Mar 2012 04:18 am
by macplaxton
Me probably

Re: Front Bumper Covers

Posted: 31 Mar 2012 07:48 am
by trabitom99
I know this is off topic but ... these were originally designed to fan air down to the vario belts AFAIK.

Doesn't this invite rust? If the blanking plates are replaced with the vents, doesn't that mean all sorts of gunk gets in to the channels under the car, which are kept nice and damp due to the rain being forced in there all the time?

Cheers

Tom

Re: Front Bumper Covers

Posted: 31 Mar 2012 08:09 am
by macplaxton
I think the opposite Tom.

Having seen the rust on 40+ year old DAFs, those channels stay in good shape. The through flow I guess keeps them dry.

Re: Front Bumper Covers

Posted: 31 Mar 2012 10:31 am
by Chris_C
The reason I put them on mine was to increase the airflow, try to keep them dried out. No idea if it works, but stuck with it!

Re: Front Bumper Covers

Posted: 31 Mar 2012 04:00 pm
by trabitom99
OK, convinced :-)

Tom

Re: Front Bumper Covers

Posted: 31 Mar 2012 06:15 pm
by macplaxton
It's like a car rotting away in a damp garage or staying nice under a drafty car port :wink:

Re: Front Bumper Covers

Posted: 01 Apr 2012 07:28 am
by trabitom99
Actually ... perhaps I'm not convinced after all ;-)

I agree that the worst thing you could do to a vario would be to fit the "standard" blanks. A lifetime of gunk gets no more airation, and the channels start rusting.

But on a car where the vents have been blanked up until now? There won't be enough grime in those channels to cause a problem. If you fit those vents, you add air true, but also a whole load of extra gunk gets in.

Tom