Page 1 of 4

centre console bulbs

Posted: 04 Aug 2004 09:33 am
by 5lab
hi there

has anyone got a pic of the back of a centre console (ie where heating controls etc go on) on which they can mark where the bulbs go? i've pulled one out, replaced it (at the moment i have no lighting there), but now i cant figure out where to put it back, cos i cant see anything..

thanks

Hugh

Posted: 04 Aug 2004 10:21 am
by Duvel78
I've changed the bulb there (2 monts ago), it took 10 minutes (!) to do it because it's very difficult to access to that place! Unfortunately I don't have a good pic... All I can say is that the bulb is located between the recirculation switch and the main switch for the fan speed...

Posted: 04 Aug 2004 10:40 am
by 5lab
ok, that'll help :)

is it just 1 bulb for the whole console?

Posted: 04 Aug 2004 10:46 am
by Duvel78
Yes, only one bulb there...

Posted: 04 Aug 2004 10:49 am
by 5lab
what lights up when its in? as it's never worked on my car... i have to take the dash out to fit it as well :(

Posted: 04 Aug 2004 02:07 pm
by Fuse
Is there a light for those centre console instruments too? :D Never worked in GL, I think it's not working in GLT either...

Posted: 04 Aug 2004 02:17 pm
by 5lab
i didnt realise there was either, till i worked out there must be cos it looks strange dark. found the bulb by tugging on wires whilst the dash was out, cant find where to put it back :)

Re: centre console bulbs

Posted: 04 Aug 2004 02:28 pm
by Duvel78
5lab wrote: has anyone got a pic of the back of a centre console
Oh stupid I am! I have that part in my garage, dismantled from my old GLT dashboard... I can make a good picture for you if you can wait till the evening!

It lights up the numbers for the fan speed and a little bit the "menu" on the left (I don't understand the economy for a second bulb there!)

Posted: 04 Aug 2004 02:52 pm
by 5lab
hehe! yeah i can wait - thanks for the help. there is no room for another bulb to light the rest of the sliders?

Posted: 04 Aug 2004 04:36 pm
by Duvel78
Here we go!

Image

Image

Image

Now you can see where the bulb must be... :wink:

There is no place for a second bulb but it wouldn't be too difficult to make a second hole just for that... :P (but is it really necessary? lol)

Posted: 04 Aug 2004 04:47 pm
by 5lab
thanks duval!

will the bulb and holder push in any way round, or does it have to be virtical/horizontal?

and can i remove that panel easily, or is it held securely in place?

Posted: 04 Aug 2004 05:24 pm
by Duvel78
Duvel, not Duval! sm32 :wink:

Simply push the holder with the bulb into the hole (to the maximum and horizontaly of course)

I would say it's easy to remove the panel for me because I have the experience with that now, but the first time it's not easy at all (because you have to disconnect 2 metal cables + the air recirculation and so on...)

For a simple bulb change, don't do that!!! LOL :wink:

Posted: 04 Aug 2004 10:40 pm
by Chris_C
I had to take the entire centre panel out, because the heater cable kinked! While it was out I replaced all the bulbs, then got bored and sprayed the entire console silver (wasn't to sure at the beggining about it, but I always had the spare in the other car). It can be a proper mission getting it back in again. And the heater cable kinked again the other day, anyone know where to get one? I don't want to steal it out the other car incase thats near the end of its life too. It's standard wire in tube stuff, I guess it'll be a dealer effort, but I dunno whether they'll have one. I was looking at making it, but its high tensile wire and will be a pain to bend

Posted: 04 Aug 2004 11:19 pm
by Duvel78
Chris_C wrote: And the heater cable kinked again the other day, anyone know where to get one?
Classical answer: scrap yard! I have that for free here...

5lab, the bulb is now SHINING ? :?: :P

Posted: 04 Aug 2004 11:21 pm
by 5lab
bulb was shining anyways, just in the wrong place ;)

nagh its not in the right place yet - i've not had time to sort it out :S