Volvo 360 Radio/Cassette

Rust problems and repairs, leaky sunroof... Battery, starter, lights, fuses, airco, heating unit, stereo... | Tuning: custom spoilers & bodykits, fiberglass parts...
NO parts requests here, please use our V3M BUY & SELL corner
mr_curmudgeon
Posts: 4
Joined: 21 Sep 2004 12:48 pm

Volvo 360 Radio/Cassette

Post by mr_curmudgeon »

My Father -In-Law owns an E reg Volvo 360 which he is very proud of, however, it does not have a radio and its as he is retired and tending to do more mileage we decided to buy one, however, we have just tried to fit the forth one and it doesn't fit. Without boring anybody with the details would somebody be kind enough to supply a make and model number of a radio/cassette player (not CD) that fits a volvo 360.

Thanks
Mark
User avatar
SteveP
*** V3M DONOR ***
Posts: 7944
Joined: 21 Sep 2004 12:45 pm
Location: Coventry, UK

Post by SteveP »

Hi there,

I'm pretty sure that the 300 Series has a non-standard aperture for the stereo (someone correct me if I'm wrong). In which case you need a plastic adapter plate to fit a standard din sized stereo. Is this what you mean when you say it doesn't fit?

Steve
User avatar
5lab
*** V3M DONOR ***
Posts: 3454
Joined: 31 Jan 2004 01:44 pm
Location: Brighton, UK
Contact:

Post by 5lab »

just grab a radio out of a 340/360 in a scrapyard
Siddy-'87 360 Glt lhd convertible
Swapsea-'89 360GLT-swapped!
Leah-'84 340GL-sold! Maisie-'85 340GL-sold!
Snowy-'88 360GLE-killed by a truck! Dougle-'89 360GLT-dead&stolen!
Nessy-'86 340GL-foggy's! Grace-'86 360GLT-gone!
mr_curmudgeon
Posts: 4
Joined: 21 Sep 2004 12:48 pm

Post by mr_curmudgeon »

SteveP wrote:Hi there,

I'm pretty sure that the 300 Series has a non-standard aperture for the stereo (someone correct me if I'm wrong). In which case you need a plastic adapter plate to fit a standard din sized stereo. Is this what you mean when you say it doesn't fit?

Steve
Not entirely sure as He has always taken it to a specialist to get them fitted. The last one was essentially too wide and too long and as I thought all car radios were standard I'm at a loss.
mr_curmudgeon
Posts: 4
Joined: 21 Sep 2004 12:48 pm

Post by mr_curmudgeon »

5lab wrote:just grab a radio out of a 340/360 in a scrapyard
Thats an option, so thanks for that. I was kind off looking for an off the shelf radio, however, any suggestions
User avatar
Fuse
Posts: 1364
Joined: 29 Jul 2004 09:03 pm
Location: Finland
Contact:

Post by Fuse »

You can buy an adapter from Volvo dealer so you can fit standard-size radios. Volvo radios are not standard-size so aftermarket radios won't fit in without an adapter.

http://koti.mbnet.fi/mtn/images/autot/GLT/_10_0366.JPG

Like that. Bad pic though..
Volvo R-Sport - Equipment for the car enthusiast.

“Buy land, they're not making it anymore” - Mark Twain


"There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games." -Ernest Hemingway
User avatar
SteveP
*** V3M DONOR ***
Posts: 7944
Joined: 21 Sep 2004 12:45 pm
Location: Coventry, UK

Post by SteveP »

Nice stereo there :wink: My friend also has that Clarion Mp3/CD player, very good quality - and pretty damn loud, 4x51w I think!

Steve
User avatar
5lab
*** V3M DONOR ***
Posts: 3454
Joined: 31 Jan 2004 01:44 pm
Location: Brighton, UK
Contact:

Post by 5lab »

2 of the options are

http://www.5lab.co.uk/pics/car/pages/car%20017.htm

or

http://www.5lab.co.uk/pics/car/painting ... %20004.htm

the stereo should fit in fine - peraps the garage guy isnt taking the blanker out properly? how old is the car?
Siddy-'87 360 Glt lhd convertible
Swapsea-'89 360GLT-swapped!
Leah-'84 340GL-sold! Maisie-'85 340GL-sold!
Snowy-'88 360GLE-killed by a truck! Dougle-'89 360GLT-dead&stolen!
Nessy-'86 340GL-foggy's! Grace-'86 360GLT-gone!
mr_curmudgeon
Posts: 4
Joined: 21 Sep 2004 12:48 pm

Post by mr_curmudgeon »

5lab wrote:2 of the options are

http://www.5lab.co.uk/pics/car/pages/car%20017.htm

or

http://www.5lab.co.uk/pics/car/painting ... %20004.htm

the stereo should fit in fine - peraps the garage guy isnt taking the blanker out properly? how old is the car?
The blanker is missing so its just an aperture for the radio. The car is an E reg so its 16 years old. I am right in thinking that radios are all a standard size. We tried to fit a radio that could be removed for security, ie: it had a handle on the front and you pulled the whole unit out the car, however, because it has a special housing it wouldn't fit so I know to avoid this .
User avatar
special
Posts: 361
Joined: 03 Aug 2004 04:47 pm
Location: chesterfield derbyshire

Post by special »

as i recall i had to do a little bit of filing to get the radio unit inImage
dare to be different
User avatar
DeKay
Posts: 133
Joined: 29 Jul 2004 12:16 am
Location: St Helens and Birmingham

Post by DeKay »

What you are after is a facia plate, the autoleads catalogue number is FP-10-00
I've got one, works perfectly, sits a lot more flush than the old one.

You can get one from halfords/motorworld for about £10-13
Dave

'88 340 1.7GL Red (not pink!)
'01 S40 1.6 Pacific Blue (mums :()

V3M Member Number 100!

I'm Back!
User avatar
foggyjames
*** V3M DONOR ***
Posts: 9361
Joined: 29 Jan 2004 04:20 am
Location: Nottingham, UK

Post by foggyjames »

Cars without radios had a big blanking plate across the centre - I'm guessing this is what your father-in-law has. Cars with radios had two different styles, as Hugh has pictured. The later style is a better design, however Volvo head-units are slightly smaller than DIN size, so you will have to file away the plastic very slightly (1-2mm all round I think).

Front-to-back space is limited, but I have yet to find a unit that entirely fails to fit. I know that the Pioneer range are fine.

If you would like an original adaptor (like in Hugh's second picture), or an original head unit (with a supposedly broken tape-deck), you can have them for the cost of the postage.

I also have a fully-functioning Kenwood radio/cassette head unit which I wouldn't want much money for if you are interested.

cheers,

James
VOC 300-series Register Keeper
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'85 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
...and some modern FWD nonsense to get me to work...
User avatar
5lab
*** V3M DONOR ***
Posts: 3454
Joined: 31 Jan 2004 01:44 pm
Location: Brighton, UK
Contact:

Post by 5lab »

incidentally, theres a third type of radio facia shown at http://www.5lab.co.uk/pics/car/new/images/100_3154.jpg
Siddy-'87 360 Glt lhd convertible
Swapsea-'89 360GLT-swapped!
Leah-'84 340GL-sold! Maisie-'85 340GL-sold!
Snowy-'88 360GLE-killed by a truck! Dougle-'89 360GLT-dead&stolen!
Nessy-'86 340GL-foggy's! Grace-'86 360GLT-gone!
User avatar
Duvel78
Website Admin
Posts: 2260
Joined: 29 Dec 2003 01:33 am
Location: Country of Duvel beer > Belgium <
Contact:

Post by Duvel78 »

I have the genuine adaptator & radio as shown on pic 4 (Volvo CR 603)

Image

I think it's the best adaptator designed for the dashbord (the other one are too "conventional")

I found that in a scrapyard, the code was missing but I found it after a long night...
Collection: '78 343 Black Beauty, '82 345 GLS, '83 340 DL 2.0, '84 340 DL vario, '88 360 GLT 5d (2x) & 4d (2x), '89 GLT, '91 340 vario
Dad's cars: '87 340 vario, '89 340 vario
Lot of donors cars and parts...
V3M for life!
User avatar
5lab
*** V3M DONOR ***
Posts: 3454
Joined: 31 Jan 2004 01:44 pm
Location: Brighton, UK
Contact:

Post by 5lab »

i disagree, i had that adapter (or a very very similar one) in my 340 origionally, i think the one that i got after that is far nicer..

http://www.5lab.co.uk/pics/car/painting ... %20004.htm
Siddy-'87 360 Glt lhd convertible
Swapsea-'89 360GLT-swapped!
Leah-'84 340GL-sold! Maisie-'85 340GL-sold!
Snowy-'88 360GLE-killed by a truck! Dougle-'89 360GLT-dead&stolen!
Nessy-'86 340GL-foggy's! Grace-'86 360GLT-gone!
Post Reply