Page 1 of 1

B18FT Flywheels

Posted: 12 Dec 2006 11:58 am
by Chris_C
Might seem bit of a random question, but anyone know if the B18FT auto and manual share flywheels? VADIS seems to think they do. Folloing that, whats the difference between the pre/post dec '91 400 flywheels?

Having had a read of the posts on here, I am going to need a 480 pressure plate, and 340 1.7 centre plate, can anyone just confirm I'm right ;) Basically knowing even less about autos than the rest of stuff I want to make sure the clutch will drop in nicely.

Cheers guys

Posted: 12 Dec 2006 04:10 pm
by 340GLT
Doubt they do mate. Me and my uncle just put a m,anual box in an auto 440 and the flywheels are totallt diff as an auto doesnt have a friction plate to take up!!!
Give you a tip anyways, use a renault flywheel!! :wink:
And what you said about the other parts sounds right!! Although not sure the 1.7 friction plate will take much turbo abuse TBH!!
Adam

Posted: 12 Dec 2006 06:15 pm
by Chris_C
Problem is the turbo flywheel is different to the standard renault flywheel, unlike every other 400, which use the stock renault unit. Different triggering, think the turbo has more teeth.

Humbug to all... Guess its going to be a suck and see.

Stupid question number 834: Do I have to have the engine out to change the flywheel (and clutch ;)) in a 300 (i.e. would a 1.7 need the engine out to change the flywheel)

Posted: 12 Dec 2006 11:49 pm
by 340cbr
The flywheel from the B18FT is different from the one in the B172K. To put a B18 from a 400 in a 340 you'll need a 340 center plate, but the pressure plate can be from a 400.

What change are you making?

Posted: 13 Dec 2006 12:23 am
by Chris_C
Putting a B18FT into my B14, but the 480T the 18FT has come out of is an auto, so I just wondered if anyone knew if it had the same flywheel as a manual B18FT!

Posted: 15 Dec 2006 09:51 pm
by foggyjames
Usually automatics have a much thinner 'flywheel' called a flex plate. I suspect someone needs to go manual FT hunting ;)

I'm 99% sure you can pull the flywheel with the engine in-situ.

cheers

James

Posted: 15 Dec 2006 10:21 pm
by classicswede
Chris_C wrote:
Stupid question number 834: Do I have to have the engine out to change the flywheel (and clutch ;)) in a 300 (i.e. would a 1.7 need the engine out to change the flywheel)

No but it is much faster to pull the engine out - it does not take long and you can get to all the bolts.

Don't forget you need the bearing to go in the crank when you convert to rwd.

Posted: 17 Dec 2006 12:08 am
by Chris_C
foggyjames wrote:Usually automatics have a much thinner 'flywheel' called a flex plate. I suspect someone needs to go manual FT hunting ;)
Yeah, I know most do mate, just VADIS suggests otherwise... Only way I'll find out is when I get the sockets dirty!

Cheers for that Dai, I saw the green book pics for it today, finally understand which bearings are what... I'll go have another look!

Posted: 18 Dec 2006 02:10 pm
by antiekeradio
clutch disassembly with engine in place is only possible on a lift, and even then, not very handy...

taking the engine out is easier and allows you to flush the cooling system at the same time :wink:

Posted: 18 Dec 2006 04:40 pm
by V6 Man
Good luck with getting a 400's flywheel off!

The best way is to remove the entire front subframe and drop the engine and 'box out together, then split them to get at the flywheel. You'd better start praying that a breakers has an engine out already that you can grab the flywheel out of........

As for engine out on a 340 1.7 to change clutch and fly I don't know, but the 1.4's are easy enough to change with the engine in and the car on stands. The auto to manual conversion on my 760 was done on the drive with the car on ramps and the engine in situ.