Page 1 of 1
Weber Carb conversion
Posted: 27 Mar 2007 10:49 am
by fume
Is this a straight forward conversion?. I am considering it as an option to solve my 1.7 poor running but was wondering if it is worth doing or is the better option to get my solex rebuilt. Do they run better with a weber? and is economy improved?.
Posted: 27 Mar 2007 11:10 am
by redline
I had a weber consversion on my redline and was always very happy with both the performance and economy , I felt the acceleration was better than any other 1.7 volvo I had driven and apart from the thing coming loose on the way to the Gaydon meet, I never had a problem with it ( I had only just got the car then and had not checked anything )
there not cheap to buy but are far more reliable than any solex , I think I have posted here before but the guy who has my redline is breaking it so try getting hold of Adam (340GLT ) to see if the carb is available
Posted: 27 Mar 2007 08:17 pm
by Chris_C
Meh, they arn't any more reliable tbh, don't have the fuel cut off solenoid and don't produce any more power as far as I could tell, i had both of mine gas tuned and both pulled the same figures on the dyno, they are supposed to be identical copies as fair as the engine is concerned.
However, if you want one, I have the one that I replaced with the solex on my 1.7, and pennies are always welcome

Posted: 28 Mar 2007 08:39 am
by fume
Hopefully i will be taking the carb off this afternoon to have a look at it, but I would be very interested in your weber. How much would you want for it? and would you be prepared to post it?. That would help me to get her on the road again, anyone got a prop?!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: 28 Mar 2007 09:51 am
by Chris_C
Yeah, I don't mind posting it. The base is flat, the only problem I was having with it is it seemed to be overfueling on switch off on my car, so if you parked up, went indoors for less than 10 mins then came back it would be flooded, which is why I replaced it, otherwise it worked fine.
Could well be something else on my engine, I don't know, but I won't let you buy it without telling you I took it off for a reason! My scrappy charges £25 for carbs, so not knowing how much postage will be without looking, £20 plus the postage if I havn't put you off? PM me if you are keen.
Posted: 03 Apr 2007 12:42 pm
by fume
That's not a problem, sticking float maybe?, i have got to get the family bus through its MOT at the end of the month so when funds are healthier everything will go onto the 340! and i will pm you. If you get a good offer for it in the meantime though sell it don't lose out.
Posted: 07 Apr 2007 08:44 am
by fume
Due to some serious lack of funds i have now sanded the base of my existing carb flat. Crikey that took some doing!. I am going to see if that works as i am desperate to get it back on the road. I have made up new gaskets so hopefully it should be ok.