Page 1 of 1

Electrical and normal mirrors

Posted: 08 Oct 2004 03:40 pm
by Duvel78
My electrical mirrors arrived today > opportunity to show some pictures for those who wants to know how the glass can be removed. It's possible to remove the glass without problems but you MUST do that very carefully to avoid broken parts. (James had problems with that)


* General view electrical mirror:

Image

Glass (rear)

Image

The motors (was making so much noise on mine, put some oil and the noise wil disappear)

Image

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* General view normal mirrors

Image

Glass (rear)

Image

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------


* How to remove the glass?

The most secure way I found is the following: put two fingers into the mirror as far as you can (red arrow) and push the glass to the outside slowly. It's very important to do that slowly with the electrical mirrors to avoid to bust plastics fixings (see the pic)

Image

Image

Posted: 08 Oct 2004 03:57 pm
by 5lab
are you sure you cant 'twist' the glass to get it out of there?

Posted: 08 Oct 2004 03:59 pm
by 5lab
looking again, its obvious you cant. maybe you could push the actual lugs (plastic 'teeth') inwards and then push the glass?

is the wiring loom for the heating already in place?

Posted: 08 Oct 2004 04:11 pm
by Duvel78
As I said, it's a secure way (from my point of vue)... You can always pull the glass from the outside but at your own risks (that was my first method, not the best... reason why I give that piece of advice) Yep the wiring is already there.

Posted: 15 Oct 2004 07:18 pm
by foggyjames
That isn't the same as mine...which probably explains the haynes problem. Mine didn't have a ball-joint anywhere in them.

cheers

James

Posted: 22 Oct 2004 03:09 am
by Duvel78
foggyjames wrote:Mine didn't have a ball-joint anywhere in them.
The pic with the ball-joint is for the normal mirror, not the electrical one

Posted: 22 Oct 2004 06:55 pm
by foggyjames
OOPS! Good point....

I have a 'spare' one, so I'll have a try sometime. It's partially broken anyway (someone must have hit it, so it wobbles at speed), so its not the end of the world if I trash it :) I'll follow your instructions not haynes this time though!

cheers

James

Posted: 23 Oct 2004 12:47 am
by Duvel78
James, do you have spare .... (I don't know how to call that > picture) it's a little plastic part behind the glass for the electrical mirrors

Image

Posted: 23 Oct 2004 01:40 am
by foggyjames
Yeah, I have a couple of those....

cheers

James

Posted: 23 Oct 2004 01:45 am
by 5lab
duvel - how hard was fitting overall? james kept winging about finding it hard to get the connecting wires thru

Posted: 23 Oct 2004 01:55 am
by foggyjames
Depends on how much stuff he has in his cable trunks ATM! Having said that, I still can't see how the hell you could possibly get those round mirror connectors through - they're just too big! My guess is they were assembled in-situ, with the cables alone being fed through.

cheers

James

Posted: 23 Oct 2004 02:13 am
by Duvel78
foggyjames wrote:I still can't see how the hell you could possibly get those round mirror connectors through - they're just too big!
I'm a professional, don't forget that! LOL I will start a topic with pictures to explain it... as for the central lock.