Page 1 of 1

Indicator Stalk

Posted: 08 Apr 2007 11:16 am
by stealthstylz
The one in the 360 is flopping everywhere i've had a look and it seems that the whole stalk has come adrift from the column. Is it a regular problem and how do I fix it?

Matt

Posted: 08 Apr 2007 12:25 pm
by germ
i had this on my 340 i guess there the same,

on mine it had broken near the screw so i used super glue thinking it wasent going to work but it has, the other thing is was going to use was epoxy welding stuff

is this what you ment?



Cheers
will

Posted: 08 Apr 2007 01:34 pm
by petefarrell360
Yeah, it's a common fault sadly. It's often not the indicator or wiper staks themselves, merely the mount that fits around the steering column which has lugs on for attaching the stalks. The lugs are a bit vulnerable as the holes seems to be too close to the edges of the plastic, making them weak and crack or break off. There are a couple of ways of attacking it, on my original car I made a small piece of metal to brace the original part toegether, effectively a short piece with a hole in each end to put the screws through.

Or, you can find a new one....... which I believe I've seen some on Ebay recently.

Or as Germ says a good adhesive might well work.

Pete

Posted: 08 Apr 2007 02:17 pm
by Ronnie
My one fractured through the eye of the bolt hole so I just fitted bloody great big washers on each side and did it up tightish so that they clamped the bracket together. Has been like that for about a year now without trouble.

Posted: 08 Apr 2007 05:38 pm
by stealthstylz
I just took the cowl off (how cool are those clips that hold em on loads better than the wank torx screws that renault use) and that is the problem.

Do I need to take the steering wheel off to get the unit off so I can glue it or does it come off with the wheel on.

Matt

Posted: 08 Apr 2007 05:48 pm
by petefarrell360
The wheel needs to come off, from memory 24 mm socket or something around that size, remember to mark how it lines up, with the wheels straight so it goes back on in the same place.

It then has a silly plastic 'screw' from the underside of the mount, which is a PITA to get anything to grip in the head of it without destroying the plastic! I think I used pliers to grip it in the end. That will slide off over the column then.

Those push clips are cool, easy to remove and neat.

Pete

Posted: 08 Apr 2007 06:01 pm
by Chris_C
The screw can be got with one of those rachet 90 degree screwdrivers, the 99p from a cornershop type that look a bit like a mini socket handle, but 4 inches long. They rock ;)