Three door 1.4 *Now Sorted*

Put here your advertisements to buy cars and parts
User avatar
filthyjohn
*** V3M DONOR ***
Posts: 2693
Joined: 12 Sep 2006 09:07 pm
Location: Sunderland, Ringpiece Of England

Three door 1.4 *Now Sorted*

Post by filthyjohn »

As title really, going to use it to push my metro off claxheugh rock into the river wear.

(Lazy) Artist's (half-arsed) impression:

Image
Last edited by filthyjohn on 06 Dec 2007 04:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'87 Nissan Sunny
'95 945 LPT
'90 340 3dr
'87 360 GLT
'87 765 TIC
'75 Manta A
'70 Rover P5 V8
'67 MGB GT
'62 amazon 2dr
User avatar
petefarrell360
*** V3M DONOR ***
Posts: 3083
Joined: 11 Oct 2004 07:12 pm
Location: Bucks, UK

Post by petefarrell360 »

Hello John! Erm, it is a stupidly long way away.......... however, if you're interested, I know of one.

I've recently been offered a 1.4 340, sadly too late to be of use to me, as instead of taking the simple route of replacing the car, we decided to replace the sills on my Grandmothers 340. This may have turned out to be the harder of the two routes, as once the sills were removed, we found a lot more rust, but that has been taken care of a lot of metal replaced! My Uncles is a genuis when it comes to fabrication and welding, so it should be sound for a long time now. One of the reasons for not changing to another 340, is it may be cosmetically ok to the outside, but who knows what is waiting beneath festering away, and her current car is low mileage and mechanically well looked after, so better the devil you know.....

Anyway, my Volvo mechanic friend sold it to someone as a runabout, but then they got something else and claimed it was running hot, so he had it back. He's found nothing wrong, and I think it was just a ploy to change the car without the hassle of selling it.

Anyway, I'll call round and see it and get some pics if it's still available, as someone closer might be keen. I *think* it was a 3 door.

Pete
G reg 360 GLT, G reg 340 GL Variomatic, plus many more..........
User avatar
filthyjohn
*** V3M DONOR ***
Posts: 2693
Joined: 12 Sep 2006 09:07 pm
Location: Sunderland, Ringpiece Of England

Post by filthyjohn »

Pete,
I got my 360 from Oxford so distance is no real deterrent for me :lol: (and I once bought a 205 from Salisbury :shock: )

TBH what I'm after is a 1.4 that I don't have to worry too much about preserving, I quite like the odd gravel excursion you see (don't we all?).

I'm going to look at one in Durham tomorrow or tuesday, which is supposedly a one-owner car with full service history up to December last year. I'll probably get it even if it's a minter, but I won't be wrecking it if it's nice.
Anyway, any more info is welcome, and thanks for bringing it up mate.

Cheers,
John.
'87 Nissan Sunny
'95 945 LPT
'90 340 3dr
'87 360 GLT
'87 765 TIC
'75 Manta A
'70 Rover P5 V8
'67 MGB GT
'62 amazon 2dr
User avatar
petefarrell360
*** V3M DONOR ***
Posts: 3083
Joined: 11 Oct 2004 07:12 pm
Location: Bucks, UK

Post by petefarrell360 »

Ah right ok John, well let me know if you don't get the other one. It is a 3 door, and apparently is very clean and rust free, and the bloke does know what he's looking at, not your usual it's clean and tidy, meaning it's rusty and no good!

I'll get over and take a look if I find time.

Pete
G reg 360 GLT, G reg 340 GL Variomatic, plus many more..........
User avatar
filthyjohn
*** V3M DONOR ***
Posts: 2693
Joined: 12 Sep 2006 09:07 pm
Location: Sunderland, Ringpiece Of England

Post by filthyjohn »

Cheers Pete, I'd appreciate more info, especially as the one I just bought is a bit of a shed!

Picking it up tomorrow night and pictures will follow. I went to see it before buying it, and I wasn't impressed at all. It was against my better judgement but I needed a car fast. The main problem is the bodywork. It has pretty serious rust on:

All 4 arches,
Bottom of windscreen surround,
Bottom of passenger door,
Front valance.

However it seems fine mechanically and comes with a full MOT, so it'll be a year's fun, then if it isn't gonna make it through the test I'll break it and offer loads of rare 3dr parts on here for the usual cheap John prices.
'87 Nissan Sunny
'95 945 LPT
'90 340 3dr
'87 360 GLT
'87 765 TIC
'75 Manta A
'70 Rover P5 V8
'67 MGB GT
'62 amazon 2dr
User avatar
filthyjohn
*** V3M DONOR ***
Posts: 2693
Joined: 12 Sep 2006 09:07 pm
Location: Sunderland, Ringpiece Of England

Post by filthyjohn »

BUMP

Very keen to find one of these before monday the 19th, when I go back to work, as I've been royally ripped off on ebay:

http://www.volvo300mania.com/forum-uk/v ... php?t=5497
'87 Nissan Sunny
'95 945 LPT
'90 340 3dr
'87 360 GLT
'87 765 TIC
'75 Manta A
'70 Rover P5 V8
'67 MGB GT
'62 amazon 2dr
User avatar
petefarrell360
*** V3M DONOR ***
Posts: 3083
Joined: 11 Oct 2004 07:12 pm
Location: Bucks, UK

Post by petefarrell360 »

PM'd John!

Pete
G reg 360 GLT, G reg 340 GL Variomatic, plus many more..........
User avatar
filthyjohn
*** V3M DONOR ***
Posts: 2693
Joined: 12 Sep 2006 09:07 pm
Location: Sunderland, Ringpiece Of England

Post by filthyjohn »

All sorted now thanks to Pete. 250 trouble free miles home, and the car's in pretty great shape too.
'87 Nissan Sunny
'95 945 LPT
'90 340 3dr
'87 360 GLT
'87 765 TIC
'75 Manta A
'70 Rover P5 V8
'67 MGB GT
'62 amazon 2dr
User avatar
filthyjohn
*** V3M DONOR ***
Posts: 2693
Joined: 12 Sep 2006 09:07 pm
Location: Sunderland, Ringpiece Of England

Post by filthyjohn »

Thought I'd chuck up a few pictures of what I got.
Turned out to be a well tidy motor as it happens, really solid and straight.
Image
Image
'87 Nissan Sunny
'95 945 LPT
'90 340 3dr
'87 360 GLT
'87 765 TIC
'75 Manta A
'70 Rover P5 V8
'67 MGB GT
'62 amazon 2dr
User avatar
SteveP
*** V3M DONOR ***
Posts: 7944
Joined: 21 Sep 2004 12:45 pm
Location: Coventry, UK

Post by SteveP »

That looks very nice actually, wheels make a huge difference!
1989 - Volvo 360 GLT
1985 - Volvo 360 GLS
2008 - Volvo S60 SE Lux
User avatar
petefarrell360
*** V3M DONOR ***
Posts: 3083
Joined: 11 Oct 2004 07:12 pm
Location: Bucks, UK

Post by petefarrell360 »

Looks good John, glad you're happy with it, the wheels look very good on that, suit it well. I really would have kept that for myself if you weren't keen! A stupid idea I know, but hey.....

Pete
G reg 360 GLT, G reg 340 GL Variomatic, plus many more..........
User avatar
filthyjohn
*** V3M DONOR ***
Posts: 2693
Joined: 12 Sep 2006 09:07 pm
Location: Sunderland, Ringpiece Of England

Post by filthyjohn »

Thanks chaps, I agree about the wheels, they just make it ten times nicer than the ugly steels it came with.
Image
'87 Nissan Sunny
'95 945 LPT
'90 340 3dr
'87 360 GLT
'87 765 TIC
'75 Manta A
'70 Rover P5 V8
'67 MGB GT
'62 amazon 2dr
User avatar
trabitom99
*** V3M DONOR ***
Posts: 4398
Joined: 06 Jan 2007 02:38 pm
Location: Bonn, Germany

Post by trabitom99 »

Nice buy John, that car looks really clean! I really like 3-door cars - especially with matt black trim, rather than chrome.

I usually prefer period alloys, but I have to agree with you on the steelies, they don't do the car any favours at all ...

Tom
343 GL Touring B14.1E CVT (155) 98000kms 1980 (sold)
343 L Junior B14.3E MT4 (155) 229000kms 1981 (scrapped)
343 DLS B19A MT4 (155) 167900kms 1982
360 GL Injection B200F MT5 (231) 348598kms 1988 (scrapped)
360 GLT B200F MT5 (302) 230000kms 1988
User avatar
MJ
*** V3M DONOR ***
Posts: 1933
Joined: 24 Feb 2005 10:32 pm
Location: Devon/Staffordshire, UK

Post by MJ »

Yeah they do make a massive difference. Also the body colour looks different in the first pictures, presumably due to the camera, but I prefer it :)
Image
User avatar
petefarrell360
*** V3M DONOR ***
Posts: 3083
Joined: 11 Oct 2004 07:12 pm
Location: Bucks, UK

Post by petefarrell360 »

In the 16 or so hours it was in my care I really grew to like that colour a lot, it suits a 300 really well! The third picture down on it's own on steelie rims is the truest colour match, I was going to say it looked a lot darker and wasn't a true colour representation in the first pics but forgot!

Pete
G reg 360 GLT, G reg 340 GL Variomatic, plus many more..........
Post Reply