Page 1 of 3

just wondered

Posted: 11 Jan 2008 12:42 pm
by redline
I do not have the technical answer to whether this is feasable or not but has anyone considered using any other engine than a volvo or renault lump for a transplant ,

just thinking ,although it would be a fair bit of work matching bits in the drive train ,but what about a 2 litre pinto or vauxhall carlton engine ?

Posted: 11 Jan 2008 12:54 pm
by germ
^^or the magical k-series :D

Posted: 11 Jan 2008 01:47 pm
by filthyjohn
As it happens mick I've been doing a lot of thinking, measuring, cutting and dangling of engines from cranes to research this. It's surprising what will physically fit in the engine bay, but shoehorning stuff in is the very tip of the iceberg.


I was going to keep these pictures classified, but seeing as there's no way one of these will go in without virtually redesigning the car I don't have to worry about my idea being stolen...


Image
Image
Image

With a spare empty engine bay and a spare chevy V8, it would have been rude not to try.

Posted: 11 Jan 2008 02:24 pm
by classicswede
You could fit any engine you want with in reason (do you remember the BMW V12 conversion?).

The big problem is the rear gearbox for most conversions as you would normaly swap an engine and box then make a prop. WIth the 300 its better to use an adaptor plate to the bellhosing.

The Pinto is a naff engine and not worth considering but the Vauxhall twin cam would be a goer. The vauxhall is dead easy to wire in and have pleanty of bits available.

The issue is teh renault lumps are very easy to bolt up and produce teh power. If I was going for a totaly different engine it would be a mid mounted V6 job :twisted:

Re: just wondered

Posted: 11 Jan 2008 02:43 pm
by SteveP
redline wrote:2 litre pinto
Why? For that blue smoke look?... :lol:

Posted: 11 Jan 2008 02:57 pm
by griffo20022
I reckon a B16, B18 or H22 from the honda series would make the 300 an interesting car! Hi-revving v-tec powered RWD car, with a good amount of room under the bonnet still for maybe turbo conversion etc. Oooooo Can't start thinking :shock:

Posted: 11 Jan 2008 03:03 pm
by filthyjohn
you'd have difficulty fitting a honda lump cos they spin the wrong way. As discussed on Retro Rides though, an S2000 lump and box can be fitted to all sorts of stuff.

Posted: 11 Jan 2008 03:05 pm
by filthyjohn

Posted: 11 Jan 2008 03:26 pm
by garth
Id like to see a 4-age or a xe lump in one. 130bhp or 150bhp. Imagine that.

Re: just wondered

Posted: 11 Jan 2008 03:53 pm
by redline
SteveP wrote:
redline wrote:2 litre pinto
Why? For that blue smoke look?... :lol:

lol , it was your post on what to do got me thinking about this ,

ok escort twin cam or cozzie sierra lump then

Posted: 11 Jan 2008 04:47 pm
by Chris_C
I had thought of an XE of a Vtec, the the VVT k series, but was put off by the lack of engine mounts and my complete lack of any kind of clue ;) The turbo made lots more sense to me as I'd never done anything like it before.

I'd love to see the chevy or the XE done though!

Posted: 11 Jan 2008 05:10 pm
by dalahare
Nissan SR20det is my favourite powerfull and affordable 4 cylinder, easy 300 RWHP, 500+ is achevable if you go very nuts. Anyone ever tried? I suppose you'd just buy a 180 instead.

Posted: 11 Jan 2008 05:52 pm
by Carl
You have revvy little 4 pots with the renault lumps so personally I wouldnt bother with any XEs, VTECs, 4AGEs etc (despite them all being pretty decent engines and probably better than renault offerings). Something a bit more special is needed. A T5 engine is the obvious choice to keep it in the family. I believe it's been done in some of the other RWD Volvos? A D5 lump would also be good! But definitely a v8 FTW 8)

Like that RV8 240 from a while back. I know some of you don't approve of this engine and a redblock turbo conversion would have instantly had more power, but just for the noise - no one would expect it! And of course once it was all hooked up you could pretty much chuck any RV8 engine in there - a TVR Griffith engine with 350bhp should do the trick!

I certainly dont have the skills to do this, but if I suddenly became very rich I'd take the said TVR engine along with Fioner to a garage and tell them to make it work :twisted:

Posted: 11 Jan 2008 10:25 pm
by classicswede
dalahare wrote:Nissan SR20det is my favourite powerfull and affordable 4 cylinder, easy 300 RWHP, 500+ is achevable if you go very nuts. Anyone ever tried? I suppose you'd just buy a 180 instead.
This is an engine I like but a red block will give the same kind of power with having to mess about to much fitting it.

Posted: 11 Jan 2008 10:26 pm
by classicswede
As a wild card how about the Mazda rotary lump from an RX8? with turbo?

That would be very interesting