Page 1 of 1

Central Locking

Posted: 14 Nov 2004 11:05 pm
by SteveP
Hi,

Well the central locking on my 360 does not work basically! I had a look at it today, used two different central locking solanoids in the drivers door and no power seems to be getting to it (checked at the plug). After all this, it then got dark and cold.. so have given up for now!

I wondered if there were any common faults which might help in diagnosing the problem. From memory the central locking runs on the same fuse as interior lights/cigarette lighter - which work correctly.

It occured to me later - could the wiring have snapped where the wires run from the door to the main car bodywork? Certainly the movement could snap the wires.. hmmm

Any hints or tips?

Steve

Posted: 14 Nov 2004 11:13 pm
by 5lab
get a voltmeter and test the lines out

Posted: 14 Nov 2004 11:39 pm
by SteveP
I tested the lines with some sort of screwdriver (which you earth) that lights up when current passes through it - but it didn't!

Steve

Posted: 15 Nov 2004 10:29 am
by Chris_C
It was a 12V checker right Steve? Not one of the 240V ones (just checking ;)) Whilest the wires could have snapped in the doors, I think it would be much more likely to be the contact switch in your drivers door thats iffy, would point to this if all your door motors had no power going to them. Mine had to be cleaned a little while ago, it comes apart alright (its a little white box) just can't remember the fiddly bits too well!!!

Keep us informed mate

Posted: 15 Nov 2004 03:40 pm
by SteveP
Yes it was a 12v checker :P

Thanks Chris, I don't think Haynes is too helpful on the central locking system! I'll take a look at the contact switch in the drivers door.

Steve

Posted: 16 Nov 2004 01:20 pm
by foggyjames
Since none of them work, it's gotta be something on the master side. In other words, I'd concentrate on the drivers door...

cheers

James

Posted: 27 Nov 2004 06:05 am
by Lonewolf
i'd check the drivers door where the wires pass into it, i had a problem with my electric mirror not working, the wires looked like they had been cut off by previous owner they were so clean cut, but i dont think they would get brittle and snap... either way its a good spot too start.