new dash.
Posted: 14 Jul 2008 10:38 pm
Well in lieu of the engine going in I had to have some where for all the guages to go. So ive spent a few weeks on this and then come back to it and restarted it today a-fresh, and I am almost upon completion of it( trimming comes afterwards even though I have the fabric all ready)
Now when I started it I went for fibreglass. Now this is all good in keeping with the weight loss from all the panels behind the dash I removed. But unfortunatly the panel sagged ( as happens - but more my fault for not meshing behind it) and I decided I was wasting too much filler trying to bring it all level and where I wanted it( I used a 1/4 of a tub bringing one corner almost level!)
so today I restarted with some MDF and here are the results.

1) Positioning the panels where i wanted them

2) Using filler (P38 easy sand) arround the edges enabling me to smooth it later. I also roughly cut the shape for the cd player into the bottom panel at this stage

3) Bottom of the centre part of the dash( when it is in the car the gear stick trim panel and pocket attach to this - underneath)

4) Showing the ammount of filler to bring the top in and to join the lip that goes arround the original dash cluster

5) After some heavy sanding with a palm sander the glove box side of the work is fairly smooth, admitaly there is lots more to do including filling the little holes appearing and to smooth it in to the foam stuff more.

6) I have smoothed in to the edges of the panel joins by using a circle motion to make it smooth so that the vinyl I am using will go over it smoothly no nasty points apearing etc when trimmed.

7) Trying to get the panel to join the lip a rather awkward part so will have to go in by hand to get the curve right but its goign alright.

Just an idea of how much sanding and work is still to be done. but its getting there another night( tonight more than likely) should see it ready for trimming.

9) Just sort of showing the CD player in situ roughly. The guages will sit in the top half of the panel and between them and the CD Player will possibly sit a small bank of rocker switches controling the likes of fuel and ECU cut off

10) Another view of 9. But shows how it should all work quite nicely
Any tips comments apprieciated chaps.
Now when I started it I went for fibreglass. Now this is all good in keeping with the weight loss from all the panels behind the dash I removed. But unfortunatly the panel sagged ( as happens - but more my fault for not meshing behind it) and I decided I was wasting too much filler trying to bring it all level and where I wanted it( I used a 1/4 of a tub bringing one corner almost level!)
so today I restarted with some MDF and here are the results.

1) Positioning the panels where i wanted them

2) Using filler (P38 easy sand) arround the edges enabling me to smooth it later. I also roughly cut the shape for the cd player into the bottom panel at this stage

3) Bottom of the centre part of the dash( when it is in the car the gear stick trim panel and pocket attach to this - underneath)

4) Showing the ammount of filler to bring the top in and to join the lip that goes arround the original dash cluster

5) After some heavy sanding with a palm sander the glove box side of the work is fairly smooth, admitaly there is lots more to do including filling the little holes appearing and to smooth it in to the foam stuff more.

6) I have smoothed in to the edges of the panel joins by using a circle motion to make it smooth so that the vinyl I am using will go over it smoothly no nasty points apearing etc when trimmed.

7) Trying to get the panel to join the lip a rather awkward part so will have to go in by hand to get the curve right but its goign alright.


9) Just sort of showing the CD player in situ roughly. The guages will sit in the top half of the panel and between them and the CD Player will possibly sit a small bank of rocker switches controling the likes of fuel and ECU cut off

10) Another view of 9. But shows how it should all work quite nicely
Any tips comments apprieciated chaps.






