Page 1 of 1

Central locking and electric windows...

Posted: 16 Dec 2008 04:21 pm
by Andy P
Right,

I've just gone and bought a whole 340 1.7 just for the engine mounts and bell housing!!

However its also got central locking and electric windows - both of which I'd quite like. Problem is mines a 3dr and the donor is a 5dr.

Is there any possibility that I can get them working on my car?

Also.... Anyone want any bits?!?! Will be posting in the for sale section soon....

Andy P

Posted: 16 Dec 2008 04:47 pm
by Chris_C
Windows I don't think so, Adam will know, but something tells me the 3dr mech is different. CL shouldn't be too hard though.

Posted: 16 Dec 2008 04:47 pm
by SteveP
Central locking, most probably - but the electric window mechanisms are significantly different between the 3 and 5 doors.

Posted: 16 Dec 2008 05:12 pm
by Andy P
Ah ok, not too much of a problem - I've no problems with winding the windows down myself!

Central locking however is pretty handy!

Cheers!

Posted: 16 Dec 2008 11:44 pm
by volvodspec
as a bove, 3dr and 4/5dr electric window mechanisms can't be swapped.

why:
a 3dr mechanism is wider than a 5dr mechanism, the 5dr mechanism has a tilted motor to make it fit in the smaller door, this refitting of the motor makes it impossible to place it in a 3dr door without a fair bit of grinding on the inside of the door.

and as i think of it, mounting poilnts are completely different aswell

Posted: 17 Dec 2008 01:38 am
by filthyjohn
What colour is this 3dr, and how rusty-holey-knacked is its bonnet? Pwetty pwease.

Posted: 17 Dec 2008 09:56 am
by Andy P
filthyjohn wrote:What colour is this 3dr, and how rusty-holey-knacked is its bonnet? Pwetty pwease.
The 3dr is red but I'm keeping it. Thats my new project baby :D

The GLE i've bought is a 5dr and is dark grey. Not sure what condition the bonnet is yet (I'm aware theres a hole in the bonnet) but I've not picked the car up yet (or seen it) - tonight hopefully!

Andy

Posted: 17 Dec 2008 10:54 am
by filthyjohn
Ah, understood. I'm after a blue one but thanks anyway.