Page 1 of 1

Smoke silver paint needed

Posted: 19 Jan 2009 06:45 pm
by RobT_75
Hello all

I think I've worked out that my '91 340 is in smoke silver - I've looked at the VIN plate and numbers on the right hand side of the VIN state 306-01 - and have matched this to the list on Volvo Owners Club. However, does anyone know how to get hold of some? Or alternatively, are there any other colours that you can find in Halfords that are a reasonable match? I need to tidy up the rear off-side arch and rear panel below the fuel filler (car has a few war wounds inherited from previous owner).

Thanks

Re: Smoke silver paint needed

Posted: 19 Jan 2009 07:06 pm
by trabitom99
Hi Rob,

first of all - have you tried Volvo? Smoke silver wasn't such a rare colour, and maybe it can still be ordered.

If Halfords offer to mix it for you, politely decline and walk away if it's for anything other than a hidden, unimportant area. If the can is already pre-mixed in the shelf then it may be OK, but check it somewhere first to see what the match is like ...

Tom

Re: Smoke silver paint needed

Posted: 19 Jan 2009 08:12 pm
by nomead
No idea about Halfords but here's some generic experience that I had with the exact same colour (306-1) :

One local store (Motonet) has a large shelf full of spray cans and a thick book for looking up the colour code. Unfortunately their "match" didn't quite match the existing shade. Too silvery, not enough smoke (not brown enough). Fortunately I didn't even open the can so I could return it.

Another (Biltema) has pretty much a similar sized shelf. The paint is of lesser quality though, but it is cheap... (4 eur per can) And by chance, their 306-1 equivalent matched the car pretty well. Although there were some other cans with the exact same product code that were too silvery again, they were from a different batch it seems.

I know from past experience (with other cars that had metallic paint) that local paint shops specializing in car paint can mix up a batch of paint that matches really, really well. They basically take the colour code and can adjust the shade so that it matches the car - remember, paint too gets old and the paint may fade or in some cases even get darker after years in sunlight, warm and cold temperatures, washing, etc.

Also, about checking the match: Some paint shades may look different when they're wet, and also some metallic colours look quite different when you spray the clear lacquer layer on top of the paint. Be prepared to wait a while to see if it really matches the car.

Re: Smoke silver paint needed

Posted: 19 Jan 2009 08:54 pm
by Chris_C
nomead wrote:I know from past experience (with other cars that had metallic paint) that local paint shops specializing in car paint can mix up a batch of paint that matches really, really well. They basically take the colour code and can adjust the shade so that it matches the car - remember, paint too gets old and the paint may fade or in some cases even get darker after years in sunlight, warm and cold temperatures, washing, etc.

Also, about checking the match: Some paint shades may look different when they're wet, and also some metallic colours look quite different when you spray the clear lacquer layer on top of the paint. Be prepared to wait a while to see if it really matches the car.
Yup, proper place is the way forward, and normally cheaper than Halfords too. The tin halfords mixed for me is truely poor!!!

Re: Smoke silver paint needed

Posted: 19 Jan 2009 10:07 pm
by RobT_75
Thanks chaps, excellent advice from V3M members as usual! I'll go to a local paint shop or bodyshop then get them to mix me a good shade.

This will be my first attempt at panel repairs so I'll post up some pics when I've done it, assuming the car looks presentable of course :wink:

Re: Smoke silver paint needed

Posted: 20 Jan 2009 12:22 am
by germ
AR davies in baldock are the BEST!- did the clio and didnt have to blend it in at all :shock: . i had some mixed at helfrauds last year..totally wrong colour! they put soo much pink in it lmao (smoke silver) :lol:

Re: Smoke silver paint needed

Posted: 20 Jan 2009 01:11 pm
by RobT_75
I phoned my local Volvo dealer today and they have a can in stock, so thought I'd plump for this. £13.44 per can means I'll give it a go and if it's not a great match then not much money wasted. Hopefully will be ok though.

Re: Smoke silver paint needed

Posted: 20 Jan 2009 01:21 pm
by trabitom99
If the paint delivered by Volvo isn't a good match, then I don't know what is :-) Glad they stock it, I had no luck with my "light green metallic - 302" recently ...

Tom

Re: Smoke silver paint needed

Posted: 20 Jan 2009 08:52 pm
by RobT_75
Picked it up from my local friendly dealership, and it came with the lacquer aswell, 150ml per can.

There's something rather satisfying about getting the proper stuff in a Volvo labelled can. But then again I am quite strange like that, I wouldn't be a proper car bore otherwise :wink:
volvo paint.JPG
volvo paint.JPG (27.98 KiB) Viewed 5183 times

Re: Smoke silver paint needed

Posted: 20 Jan 2009 11:15 pm
by OapEM
RE Halfords, I got a sliver grey touch up brush thing mixed up there and the colour match is 100% I agree this is a rarity though, I have had paint mixed there in the past and the match was shocking!

Having a mate working there and a trade card eases the pain with cost too :D

Re: Smoke silver paint needed

Posted: 21 Jan 2009 09:16 am
by trabitom99
RobT_75 wrote:There's something rather satisfying about getting the proper stuff in a Volvo labelled can.
Don't worry, we understand ;-)

Tom

Re: Smoke silver paint needed

Posted: 21 Jan 2009 11:18 am
by Figgy
trabitom99 wrote:
RobT_75 wrote:There's something rather satisfying about getting the proper stuff in a Volvo labelled can.
Don't worry, we understand ;-)

Tom

After gazing at the Volvo paint tins...I understand too! :)