How can I tell which clutch I need?
-
Cliché Guevara
- Posts: 122
- Joined: 22 Jan 2012 05:51 am
How can I tell which clutch I need?
Hey all,with out removing the clutch how can I tell if it has 18 or 24 splines?
I live in NZ and have found two different types both 228mm but one is 24 and other is 18 but both are for 82/89 cars fro both B200 and b19 engines.
Thanks
I live in NZ and have found two different types both 228mm but one is 24 and other is 18 but both are for 82/89 cars fro both B200 and b19 engines.
Thanks
-
macplaxton
- Posts: 3283
- Joined: 09 Feb 2008 02:29 am
Re: How can I tell which clutch I need?
Throw me a chassis number by PM and I'll check the catalogue?
-
macplaxton
- Posts: 3283
- Joined: 09 Feb 2008 02:29 am
Re: How can I tell which clutch I need?
All 2.0 cars I've found in the catalogue(s) so far are listed as:
Cover is 228
Plate is 215 x 20.5 x 24
Cover is 228
Plate is 215 x 20.5 x 24
Re: How can I tell which clutch I need?
mac,
Are any/both of these clutches suitable for a 1986 360 2.0i GLE?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270898070994? ... 1423.l2649
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250978170738? ... 1423.l2649
If both, is one any better than the other?
Cheers for any help.
Are any/both of these clutches suitable for a 1986 360 2.0i GLE?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270898070994? ... 1423.l2649
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250978170738? ... 1423.l2649
If both, is one any better than the other?
Cheers for any help.
7.52pm: I'm jealous. I really wish that I was a) a Fulham fan; and b) at Craven Cottage. What a night for them. The players are still on the pitch, loving it.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010 ... eague-live
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010 ... eague-live
-
macplaxton
- Posts: 3283
- Joined: 09 Feb 2008 02:29 am
Re: How can I tell which clutch I need?
No doubt there are 360 experts out there that haven't replied...
First clutch is 24 spline, the second 18.
I'll be vague at this stage and say, pull it out and have a look. My thoughts are towards 24 spline but offer no guarantee.
First clutch is 24 spline, the second 18.
I'll be vague at this stage and say, pull it out and have a look. My thoughts are towards 24 spline but offer no guarantee.
Re: How can I tell which clutch I need?
Bet this is the same as the 1.7 clutch issue. Parts books say there is a 24 spline 1.7 clutch.... I've never found one, neither has Dai or a few others who we've discussed it with.
'89(G) 340 GLE B172k
'03 S60 D5 SE, '91 (J) MX5, 1954 Cyclemaster
Ex:
'89(F) 340 GL F7R (ex B172k) - Fake -> SBKV 300 Runner Up 08, 12; '91(H) 340 GL B14.4E - Kar; '88(F) 360 GLT B200E - Jet -> BKV 300 Runner Up 09; '89(G) 360 GLT B200E - Beast
'03 S60 D5 SE, '91 (J) MX5, 1954 Cyclemaster
Ex:
'89(F) 340 GL F7R (ex B172k) - Fake -> SBKV 300 Runner Up 08, 12; '91(H) 340 GL B14.4E - Kar; '88(F) 360 GLT B200E - Jet -> BKV 300 Runner Up 09; '89(G) 360 GLT B200E - Beast
-
Cliché Guevara
- Posts: 122
- Joined: 22 Jan 2012 05:51 am
Re: How can I tell which clutch I need?
The second one wont post the clutch to me,she said it would be too expensive.Surely I should be the judge of that.In NZ the price Ive been quoted is close to £400!
-
macplaxton
- Posts: 3283
- Joined: 09 Feb 2008 02:29 am
Re: How can I tell which clutch I need?
http://www.volvo300mania.com/forum-uk/v ... 60#p127060
This post shows a 360 and clutch with hole in the middle with 24 splines
This post shows a 360 and clutch with hole in the middle with 24 splines
-
macplaxton
- Posts: 3283
- Joined: 09 Feb 2008 02:29 am
Re: How can I tell which clutch I need?
You'll have to show me that parts book, because I haven't come across that porky yet.Chris_C wrote:Bet this is the same as the 1.7 clutch issue. Parts books say there is a 24 spline 1.7 clutch.... I've never found one, neither has Dai or a few others who we've discussed it with.
-
macplaxton
- Posts: 3283
- Joined: 09 Feb 2008 02:29 am
Re: How can I tell which clutch I need?
Re: How can I tell which clutch I need?
Yep, as the table says 24 splines + dia 215mm matches my data.
Don't take ebay parts descriptions to seriously for 300 series parts, they often are simply the wrong parts or mis-described. They could be passing off another car's kit as 360. Search 'splines', one thread says something about a 24mm 228mm from a VW fitting, possibly with the right flywheel.
http://www.volvo300mania.com/forum-uk/v ... t=+splines
No changes in clutch or drives shaft interface for UK 360's AFAIK, but all after 1982 in UK. Flywheels may have changed a little for Renix ignition in 84.
Don't take ebay parts descriptions to seriously for 300 series parts, they often are simply the wrong parts or mis-described. They could be passing off another car's kit as 360. Search 'splines', one thread says something about a 24mm 228mm from a VW fitting, possibly with the right flywheel.
http://www.volvo300mania.com/forum-uk/v ... t=+splines
No changes in clutch or drives shaft interface for UK 360's AFAIK, but all after 1982 in UK. Flywheels may have changed a little for Renix ignition in 84.
1980 345 DL_______1987 360 GLE (project car restored to GLT spec and B230FT'd)
1984 360 GLT______1987 360 GLT
1983 360 GLS______1989 360 GLE
1985 340 GL_______1986 340 1.4
1985 360 GLS______1995 940 SE 2.3 Turbo Estate (daily)
1987 340 GL 1.7
1984 360 GLT______1987 360 GLT
1983 360 GLS______1989 360 GLE
1985 340 GL_______1986 340 1.4
1985 360 GLS______1995 940 SE 2.3 Turbo Estate (daily)
1987 340 GL 1.7
-
Cliché Guevara
- Posts: 122
- Joined: 22 Jan 2012 05:51 am
Re: How can I tell which clutch I need?
Thats absolutely brilliant,thanks very much.
The vin is interesting though as the vin number says its an 85 the plate says year of manufacture 1986 and it is registered as an 87.
It must have taken a long time to get here
The vin is interesting though as the vin number says its an 85 the plate says year of manufacture 1986 and it is registered as an 87.
It must have taken a long time to get here
-
macplaxton
- Posts: 3283
- Joined: 09 Feb 2008 02:29 am
Re: How can I tell which clutch I need?
The VIN decode is straight from the parts list, but as noted with UK CVT cars, has some errors.
Re: How can I tell which clutch I need?
Thanks, Ride_on. Can I assume then that neither of the clutches I linked to on eBay are suitable for my car? This one has the right number of splines, but the diameter is incorrect:Ride_on wrote:Yep, as the table says 24 splines + dia 215mm matches my data.
Don't take ebay parts descriptions to seriously for 300 series parts, they often are simply the wrong parts or mis-described. They could be passing off another car's kit as 360. Search 'splines', one thread says something about a 24mm 228mm from a VW fitting, possibly with the right flywheel.
http://www.volvo300mania.com/forum-uk/v ... t=+splines
No changes in clutch or drives shaft interface for UK 360's AFAIK, but all after 1982 in UK. Flywheels may have changed a little for Renix ignition in 84.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270898070994? ... 1423.l2649
I have a bit of a baulk when changing down to second, and I think the clutch was replaced shortly before I bought the car. I'm beginning to think the wrong clutch has been installed as they couldn't source a totally correct one. Good assumption? I'd really like to change the clutch to see if it fixes the baulk, but obviously I want to be 100% sure I'm buying the right part.
Thanks for any help/advice you can offer.
EDIT to add:
Here's another one claiming to be for a 360, but states the diameter is 228mm also:
http://www.onlineautomotive.co.uk/Volvo ... 0Kits.aspx
Is this the wrong clutch also?
7.52pm: I'm jealous. I really wish that I was a) a Fulham fan; and b) at Craven Cottage. What a night for them. The players are still on the pitch, loving it.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010 ... eague-live
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010 ... eague-live
-
macplaxton
- Posts: 3283
- Joined: 09 Feb 2008 02:29 am
Re: How can I tell which clutch I need?
What you need to do is ask to vendor to get the measuring stick out, rather than them reading box or catalogue. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270898070994 - just ask, if he can't be bothered, then take your money elsewhere.
As far I'm aware, the PLATE is 215/6mmm - the COVER is 228mm, or at least that's my reading of the two figures.
As far I'm aware, the PLATE is 215/6mmm - the COVER is 228mm, or at least that's my reading of the two figures.




