Page 1 of 3
How can I tell which clutch I need?
Posted: 25 Jan 2012 02:04 am
by Cliché Guevara
Hey all,with out removing the clutch how can I tell if it has 18 or 24 splines?
I live in NZ and have found two different types both 228mm but one is 24 and other is 18 but both are for 82/89 cars fro both B200 and b19 engines.
Thanks
Re: How can I tell which clutch I need?
Posted: 25 Jan 2012 02:34 am
by macplaxton
Throw me a chassis number by PM and I'll check the catalogue?
Re: How can I tell which clutch I need?
Posted: 25 Jan 2012 02:50 am
by macplaxton
All 2.0 cars I've found in the catalogue(s) so far are listed as:
Cover is 228
Plate is 215 x 20.5 x 24
Re: How can I tell which clutch I need?
Posted: 25 Jan 2012 03:23 pm
by Alanovich
mac,
Are any/both of these clutches suitable for a 1986 360 2.0i GLE?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270898070994? ... 1423.l2649
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250978170738? ... 1423.l2649
If both, is one any better than the other?
Cheers for any help.
Re: How can I tell which clutch I need?
Posted: 25 Jan 2012 03:34 pm
by macplaxton
No doubt there are 360 experts out there that haven't replied...
First clutch is 24 spline, the second 18.
I'll be vague at this stage and say, pull it out and have a look. My thoughts are towards 24 spline but offer no guarantee.
Re: How can I tell which clutch I need?
Posted: 25 Jan 2012 04:09 pm
by Chris_C
Bet this is the same as the 1.7 clutch issue. Parts books say there is a 24 spline 1.7 clutch.... I've never found one, neither has Dai or a few others who we've discussed it with.
Re: How can I tell which clutch I need?
Posted: 25 Jan 2012 07:47 pm
by Cliché Guevara
The second one wont post the clutch to me,she said it would be too expensive.Surely I should be the judge of that.In NZ the price Ive been quoted is close to £400!
Re: How can I tell which clutch I need?
Posted: 25 Jan 2012 08:14 pm
by macplaxton
http://www.volvo300mania.com/forum-uk/v ... 60#p127060
This post shows a 360 and clutch with hole in the middle with
24 splines
Re: How can I tell which clutch I need?
Posted: 25 Jan 2012 08:16 pm
by macplaxton
Chris_C wrote:Bet this is the same as the 1.7 clutch issue. Parts books say there is a 24 spline 1.7 clutch.... I've never found one, neither has Dai or a few others who we've discussed it with.
You'll have to show me that parts book, because I haven't come across that porky yet.
Re: How can I tell which clutch I need?
Posted: 26 Jan 2012 04:33 pm
by macplaxton
VIDA says for a 360 B200E/A:
Cover 3203753
Disc 3213109
Release 3205955
All OP. (Obsolete Part)

(clicky image for larger view)
Re: How can I tell which clutch I need?
Posted: 26 Jan 2012 09:57 pm
by Ride_on
Yep, as the table says 24 splines + dia 215mm matches my data.
Don't take ebay parts descriptions to seriously for 300 series parts, they often are simply the wrong parts or mis-described. They could be passing off another car's kit as 360. Search 'splines', one thread says something about a 24mm 228mm from a VW fitting, possibly with the right flywheel.
http://www.volvo300mania.com/forum-uk/v ... t=+splines
No changes in clutch or drives shaft interface for UK 360's AFAIK, but all after 1982 in UK. Flywheels may have changed a little for Renix ignition in 84.
Re: How can I tell which clutch I need?
Posted: 27 Jan 2012 01:48 am
by Cliché Guevara
Thats absolutely brilliant,thanks very much.
The vin is interesting though as the vin number says its an 85 the plate says year of manufacture 1986 and it is registered as an 87.
It must have taken a long time to get here

Re: How can I tell which clutch I need?
Posted: 27 Jan 2012 01:53 am
by macplaxton
The VIN decode is straight from the parts list, but as noted with UK CVT cars, has some errors.
Re: How can I tell which clutch I need?
Posted: 27 Jan 2012 10:43 am
by Alanovich
Ride_on wrote:Yep, as the table says 24 splines + dia 215mm matches my data.
Don't take ebay parts descriptions to seriously for 300 series parts, they often are simply the wrong parts or mis-described. They could be passing off another car's kit as 360. Search 'splines', one thread says something about a 24mm 228mm from a VW fitting, possibly with the right flywheel.
http://www.volvo300mania.com/forum-uk/v ... t=+splines
No changes in clutch or drives shaft interface for UK 360's AFAIK, but all after 1982 in UK. Flywheels may have changed a little for Renix ignition in 84.
Thanks, Ride_on. Can I assume then that neither of the clutches I linked to on eBay are suitable for my car? This one has the right number of splines, but the diameter is incorrect:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270898070994? ... 1423.l2649
I have a bit of a baulk when changing down to second, and I think the clutch was replaced shortly before I bought the car. I'm beginning to think the wrong clutch has been installed as they couldn't source a totally correct one. Good assumption? I'd really like to change the clutch to see if it fixes the baulk, but obviously I want to be 100% sure I'm buying the right part.
Thanks for any help/advice you can offer.
EDIT to add:
Here's another one claiming to be for a 360, but states the diameter is 228mm also:
http://www.onlineautomotive.co.uk/Volvo ... 0Kits.aspx
Is this the wrong clutch also?
Re: How can I tell which clutch I need?
Posted: 27 Jan 2012 11:00 am
by macplaxton
What you need to do is ask to vendor to get the measuring stick out, rather than them reading box or catalogue.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270898070994 - just ask, if he can't be bothered, then take your money elsewhere.
As far I'm aware, the PLATE is 215/6mmm - the COVER is 228mm, or at least that's my reading of the two figures.